• Consider attending the National PTA Convention. It will provide you with valuable information and training to successfully meet your goals.
• Meet with your membership committee and president to adopt a membership theme and plan the campaign.
• Review your MO PTA Tool Kit for a listing of program resources and promotion ideas. Be sure to ask your president for the Membership pages from the Tool Kit if they are not given to you.
• Prepare your membership budget for the year.
• Start approaching local businesses to join as PTA Business Members and/or work with you to provide membership discounts.
• Start a Membership Procedure book if your predecessor didn’t or review your passed on information for ideas on what works for your school
• Make sure all officers and chairmen are members. Set an example by being the first member of your PTA unit.
• Use dates of special MO PTA, National PTA, and community events to organize and plan PTA activities.
• Have a membership table at all school functions – open house, registrations and volunteer meetings. Have a table with information about PTA’s programs, activities, positions, advocacy efforts and membership.
• Include PTA information and sign-up forms in “Back-to-School” packets and/or send letters of invitation home with all students for their families to join PTA.
• Invite each faculty member to join at a staff in-service or a “Back-to-School” luncheon (with Principal’s permission).
• Record membership and remit all dues money on the first of each month along with a Dues Remittance Form to the state office.
• Have a membership table at your first PTA meeting. Use this opportunity to welcome everyone and encourage their support and involvement. Inform them of your plans and programs for the upcoming year.
• Include articles in your PTA newsletters about your membership drive.
• Contact area businesses about membership opportunities with your PTA.
• Make sure you have the opportunity to earn the Missouri PTA Early Bird award by submitting your first membership dues by the published deadline.
• Plan to attend MO PTA Convention in October! Be prepared to listen and share ideas with PTA members from around Missouri!
• Share the ideas you gathered at the Missouri PTA Convention and put them into action for your PTA.
• Make contact with all parents, teachers and community members who have not joined. Send an email or a personal invitation. Look at last year’s membership roster and contact those that haven’t rejoined.
• Continue to have a membership table at each school function – be visible!
• Inform members of the progress toward the membership goal.
• Thanksgiving is a time to be thankful. Let your members know how much their membership means to children and youth.
• Plan an activity to kick off the second half of your membership drive in January. Then enjoy the winter break and come back refreshed and renewed!
• Continue to ask new members to join your PTA.
• Be sure to include PTA information and sign-up forms in “New Student” packets. Send a personal note to parent’s of new students, letting them know of upcoming PTA events and ask them to join.
• Try adding a new membership discount at a local business.
• Plan an activity for National PTA’s Founders Day (February 17th)
• Continue to check National PTA and Missouri PTA websites for new ideas.
• Make sure you get all those new dues postmarked by March 1st!
• Apply for those much deserved membership awards and celebrate your accomplishments!
• Plan to attend Leadership Conference in the Spring.
• Review and update the membership roster.
• If your school has a spring Kindergarten enrollment or round-up for in-coming, next year, Kindergartners, set up a PTA Membership table and provide your PTA information to those new parents. Invite them to an upcoming PTA activity and ask them join PTA to get a jump on the next year.
• Update membership records and the Procedure Book for your successor. Include your final membership numbers and the original goal, awards applied for, a roster of your committee members, evaluation of your successes, recommendations and any important materials to carry out the work of the committee.
• Include an end of the year article for your newsletter about your unit’s success and include a “THANK YOU” to each and every PTA member!