Good morning to each of you!
Today, National PTA announced an exciting new partnership with Amazon Kindle. As many of you know, literacy has always been dear to my heart, and I am thrilled that this program will help motivate and support more families as they engage in their child’s reading.
We have teamed up with Kindle to offer the PTA Family Reading Experience, Powered by Kindle—a set of free activities in Spanish and English that PTAs can use to organize events to engage the entire family and focus on improving reading skills between kindergarten and fifth grade.
At these events, families visit stations that highlight all of the literacy domains—phonological awareness, phonics, fluency, comprehension, and vocabulary—using both physical books and e-books. They also receive take-home activities so they can continue to support their child’s learning outside of school.
The program is flexible so that PTAs can offer a series of events in the evenings, on the weekends, and in their schools’ classrooms—reinforcing a year-round commitment to family reading.
National PTA will make the curriculum available for PTAs nationwide starting in March—National Reading Month. Please mark your calendars according to the program roll out schedule below. To receive notification when new resources become available, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Roll Out Schedule
March 18 – Marketing toolkit, Leader’s Guide and On a Safari-themed activities released
April 1 – Online applications for donated e-readers available
April 10 – Under the Sea-themed activities released
April 30 – Out of this World-themed activities released
May 21 – Around the World-themed activities released
As a new National Sponsor and the “Official E-reader of the National PTA”, Amazon Kindle also will donate a limited number of e-readers to PTAs at low‐income or at‐risk Title 1 schools (i.e., schools that have a significant number of students who receive free or reduced-priced lunch) that complete an online application and commit to hosting family reading experiences. National PTA will work to ensure that PTAs with the greatest need receive the donated Kindles in time for the start of the 2013‐2014 school year.
To help answer your questions about this new partnership and the PTA Family Reading Experience, Powered by Kindle, we have attached a few resources to this email:
· A copy of the national news release announcing our partnership
· A Frequently Asked Questions resource, which provides additional details about the program
· A set of key messages, calls to action by audience, and sample social media messages, which will help you promote the new program within your states
· An infographic promoting family engagement in reading
· A link to the National PTA web pages (PTA.org/familyreading) where program materials will be posted. New reading tips and two sample activities are available today!
A link to the Kindle webpages (www.amazon.com/kindleforkids) where Books PTA Families Love to Read Together and other resources are available
If you have questions after reviewing these resources, please contact email@example.com for more information.
We have several highly visible promotions for the program planned throughout the spring, including media outreach, blogging and advertising, and we would appreciate your help to encourage participation among PTAs in your state. As you market the program and hear of plans forming, please let us know so we can help amplify your efforts and success. You can start today by liking/following @AmazonKindle and sharing these messages via social media using the hashtag #PTAfamilyreading:
· @NationalPTA and @AmazonKindle are teaming up to support family reading www.PTA.org/familyreading
· @AmazonKindle is now the Official E-reader of the @NationalPTA www.PTA.org/familyreading
· Join today to bring @NationalPTA Family Reading Experience, Powered by @AmazonKindle to your school www.PTA.org/familyreading
· Check out the @NationalPTA list of books that families love to read together: www.amazon.com/kindleforkids
· Want to inspire your child to read more? Here are 10 tips from @NationalPTA and @AmazonKindle www.amazon.com/kindleforkids
Thank you for helping to launch this incredible new partnership and program. Again, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or answers to your questions.
Betsy Landers|National PTA President
email@example.com | www.pta.org